April 15, 2008

Blogging about Blogging

From everything I've heard, the NYCAASC Conference was a huge success. Angry was there, Reappropriate Jenn was there, Disgrasian was there, and Fallout Central was there. None of our 44's bloggers are in the NYC area, so we didn't represent, but we did have one of our black belt members in the audience who gave me a rundown on the news and views. At the conference, the organizers did a comparison of all Asian American blogs on the internet. Apparently, in terms of traffic, we're neck and neck with Modelminority.com, a blog/message board which has been around a lot longer than we have, and we're ahead of a lot of the others. So congrats to the owners of the site, congrats to our awesome admins, and congrats to all the long time members who make this the best Asian American internet community on the web. Keep up the good work everyone, and let's continue to enlighten the world with our opinions and thoughts.

I had the opportunity to listen to Fallout Central's most recent podcast. As usual, the FOC guys did an excellent job. Those guys are growing like mad, scheduling all kinds of meetings all across the country, and expanding as only they know how to do. I'm very impressed with what they've done so far, especially with that Wellesley event where they packed the house. Reappropriate Jenn, who is a regular on their show, also did a bang-up job. Though we fight all the time, we appreciate the fact that she's out there lending her voice to her cause.

Sometime during the most recent FOC podcast, someone said that their blog was to highlight racial slights or insults. Everyone agreed that that is what Asian American blogs do. I agree that it's necessary to point out racial slights or insults. I agree that somebody needs to do it. However, I personally see my blogging activities as a chance to inspire and enlighten and connect. For me, blogging is kind of like judo. You need to be proactive, and you need to dictate the terms of the fight. I've never been comfortable with a purely defensive stance when it comes to improving our society--pure defense usually emboldens negativity, and negativity often prevents us from seeing our possibilities in life.

So I think it's important to put a spotlight on stuff like Chinks Steaks and other stupid comments in the media. However, it's also important to stay focused on improving what is positive. Don't get me wrong--I also highlight the negative stuff sometimes. But I also try to maintain a balance between good and bad, and if you see me ignoring something in the news that all the other Asian American bloggers are addressing, it may be that I'm just creating space while working on something positive. I realize that I'm just one voice in the very large Asian American blogosphere, and if I'm not covering it, most likely our colleagues at FOC or reappropriate are.

Anyway, I've set up an e-mail account specifically for my blogging activities. If you have any issues that you'd like to bring to my attention, please let me know by e-mailing me at naruguard-44@yahoo.com, or please pm me. I'll try to respond to everyone. You can also bring up stuff in our awesome forum, which I check every day.

No comments: