April 23, 2008

Weak Obama Commercials

Obama's commercials are starting to play in Oregon. I have to say...they are REALLY weak. Most of the commercials only show footage of him giving speeches. Who wants to see that? I can see that on TV without having Mr. Obama spend my hard earned contributions on those pricey 30 second prime time clips.

I'm not sure who designed his commercial strategy, but if those Pennsylvania commercials were anything like the ones showing in Oregon, I'm not surprised he lost. If he's going to pay for commercials, he should take the time to speak directly to the American people. Clear the crowds, empty the room, and just talk face to face with us. Show yourself personally, and show what you plan to do for America. We'll vote for you because you're you (and not Hillary) and you know what America needs, not because you know how to give good speeches and rally a crowd.

I'm saying this in part because I'm an Obama supporter. Obama's commercials should reinforce his strong convictions. They should make people think about if he's a better candidate and why he's a better candidate. But so far it's just footage of a talented orator playing the crowd.

There's also a financial moral to this story. When you pay for something, make sure you get your money's worth. Obama is paying money to be in people's living rooms at night, so he should take that opportunity. It would be so much more effective if he were to film a 30 second spot of himself alone in his home saying, "My name is Barack Obama, this is what I'm going to do for you, this is how I'm going to do it, and I'd like your vote." We were impressed with the crowds at the beginning, but now it's time for him to show us, the American public, who he really is.

No comments: