May 22, 2008

Tragedy for Steven Curtis Chapman



You all know that I'm always debating with fellow 44's skrips and xian over religion. Though I dislike the idea of organized religion immensely and feel that it hurts society more than it helps, it doesn't stop me from empathizing with the human trials that people of religious organizations go through. Though we disagree on many things, we're still all human.

Angryasianman had this story about Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman. His 5 year old daughter, his youngest of three daughters adopted from China, was killed by one of his teenaged sons who was driving an SUV and didn't see her. I'm sure it must be heartbreaking for the whole family, especially the son. According to the article, Chapman was persuaded by his biological daughter to adopt from China, and he and his wife had founded an organization to financially assist families trying to adopt.

When I was in high school, I actually went with a Christian friend to see Chapman perform. He was a talented performer who clearly had passion for his music, his audience, and his family. My heart goes out to them.

If you want to help the family, there is information on his website here. There's a video of their little girl on their blog over here, and you can also comment on their blog with condolences.

No comments: