June 1, 2008

Asian Feminist Jurisprudence

feminism04.gifA few days ago, Sunny Woan, whom I know personally, sent me an article (download it here) that she wrote for the Washington and Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice Law. In the article, Sunny describes how "white sexual imperialism" affects "Asian feminist jurisprudence." I agree on all the facts presented in the article, and while I don't know if I'd embrace the thesis as it is (I'll explain in an upcoming "Feature" blog post), it's definitely a step in the right direction.

What sets this article apart from other "Asian feminist" works by Asian American women is that it doesn't practice the same "Pin the Tail on the Asian Male" Kingstonian propaganda that normally characterizes so-called Asian American feminism. This is one of few instances I've seen in a mainstream publication where an Asian American female takes the white male patriarchy to task for colonialism and violence. Most so-called Asian American "feminists" gloss over real instances of racial mistreatment by colonialist attitudes in favor of attacking the much easier target of Asian men, and it was refreshing (though I was admittedly somewhat uncomfortable with the discussion of rape, violence, and prostitution) to see real perpetrators questioned.

I will be writing a more comprehensive treatment on Asian American feminism in the next week or two. In the meantime, what do you think of this article? (Even though Sunny is a friend, feel free to share your real views about what she writes. Of course, the same rule applies to anything I write.)

(Image from http://evatt.org.au/news/53.html)

No comments: