June 7, 2008

The Chinatown Bus

Those of you from large metro areas have probably taken buses like these. I remember taking it once for a ridiculously low rate from Chinatown to Boston. I wondered how they could afford such low rates. (Well, not really, I kind of already knew.)

The NY Times had an interesting article on the economics and culture that surround these buses.

I don't have much comment, but I will say that John Liu is awesome. That guy is going to go far.
“This is an example of immigrant entrepreneurship that has far transcended the immigrant community,” said City Councilman John Liu, a leading figure in local Chinese-American politics. “But as with all things in New York, growth has to be recognized and managed; otherwise we’re left with another Wild West situation.”

No comments: