July 1, 2008

Fallout Central heading towards the final stretch

Fallout Central came out with another podcast episode this past weekend, and I was the featured interviewee. I used my time to promote our Thymos Frank Chin Event. As always, I wasn't as smooth as Albert and William, but I had fun. I hope my podcast episode encourages people to learn about Frank Chin and to get involved with Asian American activism. Almost all problems we discuss, along with the beginning solutions, is already out there. Most of us just don't know about it. Check out my interview--39 minutes of me talking about activism! (That's an exaggeration of course!)

Just a few things:

1. During the interview, I erroneously credited another friend for coming up with the literature event. It was actually my other friend Bao who came up with the idea. He also ran our fundraiser. Apologies to Bao.

2. Unless someone else takes over, next week's episode will be Fallout Central's last. Listen to the podcast to find out why. I was almost tearing up while listening to William describe how the podcast is coming to an end for him. I seriously believe they injected serious life into the AA internet world, perhaps more than any other group in recent years. With those awesome workshops and interviews, I can say that they personally changed my own views about how activism can be done. This will be a tremendous loss for the entire online AA community--their courage and energy has been nothing short of amazing. But those guys will be back in some form or another. Activism and fighting for what's right is an addiction, and it never goes away.

The site will still be there, and if anyone is interested in taking over, it sounds like it's up for grabs. But if you do contact them, please make sure you're good at speaking and interviewing. Judge yourselves well. I don't want to see any politically correct, wholesome, exciting-as-sawdust types taking over and ruining their rep.

3. After this event is over, I may post a few theories and experiences on the whole financial aspects of fundraising and activism. Activism needs to become more aware of the role of businesses and business leaders, and we seriously need to start supporting business leaders who are courageous enough to join the underdogs in our fight for truth. And if you're an Asian American who stands for truth and doesn't peddle orientalism, you ARE an underdog. In the meantime, if anyone else has any experiences with activism and finances, please post here.

No comments: