August 5, 2008

Martin Bashir's comments about "Asian babes"

martin-bashir-extra_786142f.jpgI saw this on AAM. It's about Martin Bashir's comments at the Asian American Journalists Association's annual banquet. It says:
The London-born presenter, who moved to the US four years ago, said: "I'm happy to be in the midst of so many Asian babes. In fact, I'm happy that the podium covers me from the waist down."

Bashir, 45, also managed to embarrass fellow presenter Juju Chang by saying a speech should be "like a dress on a beautiful woman - long enough to cover the important parts and short enough to keep your interest - like my colleague Juju's."

I'm out of rice chaser jokes, but I will say is that I saw this story on the relatively fringe website Angry Asian Man, and the story somehow missed the prominent areas of the NY Times, CNN, and BBC. You would think that in a room full of professionals who make their living by being taken seriously for their minds rather than their bodies that there would be a bit of an outcry over this. I'm wondering where all the Asian American journalists were that day.

I know that there are politics that your average journalist doesn't control, and perhaps to a certain degree, this isn't anything nearly as serious as say, the beating death of Vincent Chin, but one would think that there would be a bit more outcry at such a statement made at the annual banquet of the largest Asian American journalist organization in the country.

No comments: