September 11, 2008

Jazmin


Saw these women on AAM. They're very good--to my ears, anyway. I hope they get far.

The only thing I didn't like was that they transformed a love song, a physical love song, into a Jesus song. Actually, it would even be incorrect to even call it a love song. It's technically a "yearning" song, since the lyrics imply that the players in the story are not yet lovers--"you'd be like heaven to touch, I wanna hold you so much." Physical contact or lust between men and women. Isn't that unholy? My opinion is that drastically altering the nature of a song is a form of theft, especially since in this case, it's clearly not the original intent of the songwriter and lyricist. It's legal--they're not performing for a public audience and not making money off their rendition (unless you count the offering plate)--but it still doesn't sit right with me.

When I was in church as a boy, they used to do the same thing. I used to wonder why religious groups transformed the lyrics of secular music into hymns. One preacher dude with a guitar once told me that all secular music was evil because it was Lucifer's means of taking our attention away from God, and that music was intended by our Savior to be His and His alone. That scared the crap out of me. For a long time, I was afraid of turning on the radio lest I get hit with a lightning bolt.

I can see why the churches take music like this--it helps them to expand their cultural reach and tell their story in a musical language that people already understand. At the same time, I "can't take my eyes" off the fact that it seems to me to be a form of theft, and it makes the integrity of the church even shakier than it already is.

Anyway, the point of this post wasn't to talk about the church but rather to point out another talented Asian American group. You can check them out over here.

No comments: