September 17, 2008

Microsoft's New Ad Campaign


Microsoft is beginning a new ad campaign to fight back against Apple's Mac Guy/PC Guy ads. It's supposedly a hip, cool, rebuttal to the ads that Apple has been using to hammer PC's for the last couple of years. Apparently they're investing heavily in these ads:

Mr. Gates makes a cameo appearance in the new Microsoft spots, along with celebrities like the actress Eva Longoria, the author Deepak Chopra and the singer Pharrell Williams. (Mr. Seinfeld is gone, at least for now.)

But the stars are everyday PC users, from scientists and fashion designers to shark hunters and teachers, all of whom affirm, in fast-paced, upbeat vignettes, their pride in using the computers that run on Microsoft operating systems and software.

I used to be an "everyday PC user" too...until, of course, I tried a Mac. It's a world of difference. First of all, Macs are better at doing fun stuff like podcasts and video. Second, the bootup time is around 30 seconds rather than two minutes. Third, you don't have to worry as much about viruses (though in all fairness to Microsoft, this is because hackers target Windows more often.). Fourth, the graphics abilities of Leopard are superior to Windows. Fifth, MacOS doesn't crash all the time. Sixth, certain things just make more sense--i.e. log in as a non-admin but require an admin password for software installation.

I honestly would never have tried a Mac if a friend hadn't bought one on a whim. I still use a PC for work and for spreadsheets, but as for my personal use, now that I'm on OS, I don't think I'll ever go back.

Edit 9/18: Funny comment here.

I wonder what computers the Crispin Porter creatives use...any guesses?

JP, San Francisco, CA

No comments: